A severe shortage of trained tractor-trailer drivers faces the trucking industry and the nation. Trucking: Tractor-Trailer Driver Handbook/Workbook, Third edition and its ancillaries can help solve this problem by providing a comprehensive, turnkey curriculum for tractor-trailer driver training. This new edition delivers not only the technical content the driver needs to know, but also teaches the procedures that, with practice, will enable the student to become a skilled driver. This book stresses the importance of developing the skills, traits and behaviors that characterize true professionals. Professional truck drivers must maintain safe standards throughout all facets of a trip, and this book provides the "must have" information new drivers need to stay safe before, during, and after a route. Coverage focuses on attaining and preserving safe standards throughout all aspects of a professional driving career, from securing one's load to hazardous materials handling, with helpful guidelines for maintaining a healthy lifestyle on the road. This edition delivers not only the technical content tractor-trailer drivers need to become skilled professionals, but also the healthful habits and "best practices" that can lead to improved safety and well-being.
Developed as a down-to-earth instructional guide, Longer Commercial Vehicle (LCV) Regulations Training clearly communicates the essential information and distinct operating characteristics concerning longer commercial vehicles and the rules and training requirements necessary for truck drivers, fleet managers, and those responsible for their training. Coverage details the requirements issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in regulation 49CFR parts 380 and 391 in a straightforward, non-technical manner. Topics include basic and advanced operations, double and triple combination units, non-driving activities, safe operating practices, and more.
- updated coverage includes hours-of-service information, whistle-blower guidance, the newest rail crossing safety guidelines, and current transportation security requirements to help drivers maintain safe standards
- an easy-to-read writing style keeps the learning environment light and balanced. while full-color photos and compelling illustrations clearly demonstrate important transportation concepts
- engaging cartoons convey practical advice from veteran drivers about life over-the-road
- driver tips in each chapter, along with "cautions" and "warnings", help drivers anticipate and avoid common problems of the road
- coverage of new FMCSA Entry Level Truck Driver minimum requirement coverage
- written in cooperation with the Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI)
- based on the Tractor-Trailer Driver Curriculum originally developed by the Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration as described in their "Proposed Minimum Standards for Training Tractor-Trailer Drivers"
- unique coverage specific to longer commercial vehicles is written by someone IN the industry FOR the industry
- simple, clear-cut explanations of the FMCSA rules promote understanding and retention
- exceptional graphics visually communicate the systems, parts, and procedures being discussed
- answers to review questions provide immediate feedback so that readers can assess their knowledge
- information is supplied on related resources for those interested in expanding their knowledge and capabilities