Now in its third edition, this best selling full-color text is better than ever! We retained all the special features from the previous edition including Career Focus; As the Body Ages; Health Alert; Common Disease, Disorders, and Conditions; Concept Maps, and Body Systems Working Together to Maintain Homeostasis, and added four new features to enhance your learning, broaden your experience of the anatomy and physiology material and help you put it all together. Designed for a one-semester course, this book introduces learners in the allied health field with little or no prior biology knowledge to anatomy and physiology. Content is organized according to body systems, and focuses on the body working together to promote homeostasis. Chapters are self-contained so instructors can teach in any order preferred. Essential laboratory exercises included at the end of chapters provide hands-on lab experience. Key terms with phonetic pronunciations help build vocabulary. The CD-ROM that accompanies the book engages you in learning through interactive activities, quizzes and animations. The book offers a comprehensive supplemental package to support multiple learning styles and leverages the latest technology.
- NEW Search and Explore feature goes beyond the textbook to expand the learning experience with key word Internet searches, suggested websites with related activities, and brief human interest projects designed to add a personal element to assignments.
- NEW Case Studies are now included in each body system chapter to encourage application of concepts learned, promote critical thinking and facilitate discussion.
- NEW StudyWARE™ Connection feature adds learning opportunities such as practice quizzes, animations, image labeling and other interactive games included on the accompanying CD-ROM.
- NEW Study Guide Practice feature guides readers to even more learning tools including practice questions, labeling and coloring exercises, and crossword puzzles in the Study Guide.
- Numerous diseases, disorders and conditions were added throughout the text to help relate concepts presented in the text to real-life situations.
- Free interactive software encourages mastery of content through several types activities, games and animations.
- Health Alert and Common Disease, Disorder, or Condition boxes help learners relate concepts to clinical practice.
- Concept Maps for body system chapters illustrate the connections between anatomy and physiology of the organs of each body system.
- Body Systems Working Together to Maintain Homeostasis helps learners see integration of separate systems into one body.
- Case studies encourage application of concepts learned and promote critical thinking and classroom discussion.
Table of Contents:
1. The Human Body.
2. The Chemistry of Life.
3. Cell Structure.
4. Cellular Metabolism and Reproduction: Mitosis and Meiosis.
6. The Integumentary System.
7. The Skeletal System.
8. The Articular System.
9. The Muscular System.
10. The Nervous System: Introduction, Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves.
11. The Nervous System: The Brain, Cranial Nerves, Autonomic Nervous System and the Special Senses.
12. The Endocrine System.
13. The Blood.
14. The Cardiovascular System.
15. The Lymphatic System.
16. Nutrition and the Digestive System.
17. The Respiratory System.
18. The Urinary System.
19. The Reproductive System.