INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICITY, 8E is the ideal book to help electrical students, as well as maintenance technicians, master the fundamentals of electrical theory as they pertain to the field of industrial electricity. This fully updated eighth edition contains advanced information on electrical theory and presents all material in a clear, updated, and logical manner. Coverage begins with electrical symbols and drawings, current voltage, resistance, and power. Subsequent chapters cover Ohm's Law, series, parallel, combination circuits, and resistive and reactive circuits. Advanced material, including rotating machinery, motor controls, transformers, electronic drives, and PLCs are also thoroughly discussed. In addition to the theory, the book also covers installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting. This eighth edition contains over eight hundred and fifty updated illustrations and photos that will help students and maintenance technicians master the fundamentals.
- Includes over eight hundred and fifty updated illustrations and photos that will help clarify the fundamentals of electrical theory.
- New package includes an Instructor Resource with PowerPoint slides and a computerized testbank.
- Updated coverage on PLCs and motors.
- Adds new chapters on DC Electronic Variable Speed Drives and AC/Inverter Electronic Variable Speed Drives and greatly expands the coverage of Industrial Electronics.
- Includes comprehensive coverage that examines test equipment, wiring methods, and conductor types and sizes.
- Aids readers in understanding and learning the material by using a simple, logical, and practical approach to the subject matter.
- Includes new and updated manufacturer's information sheets relating to equipment found in the field that offer apprentices a "real world" flavor.
- In addition to the theory, the book also covers installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Provides experienced electrical maintenance technicians with an excellent reference for quick answers to those problems or challenges that crop up infrequently.
Table of Contents:
1. LANGUAGE OF ELECTRICITY.
Objectives. Electrical Symbols. Electrical Drawings. Using the Drawings/Diagrams. Scientific and Engineering Notation. Review Questions.
2. ELECTRICAL FUNDAMENTALS .
Objectives. Structure of Matter. Static Electricity. Electric Current. Current Measurement. Voltage. Voltage Sources. Voltage measurements. Resistance. Ohm's Law. Review Questions.
3. ELECTRICAL POWER AND ENERGY.
Objectives. Work. Power. Energy. Efficiency. Mechanical Transmission of Power. Drives. Sizing Motors. Review Questions.
4. TEST EQUIPMENT .
Objectives. The Digital Multimeter. The Voltage Tester. The Clamp-on Ammeter. The Megohmmeter. The Oscilloscope. Oscilloscope Probes. Making Measurements. Review Questions.
5. BASIC RESISTIVE ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS .
Objectives. Series Circuits. Parallel Circuits. Combination Circuits. Review Questions.
6. MAGNETS AND MAGNETISM .
Objectives. Magnets. Magnetic Fields and Forces. Magnetic Theories. Magnetic Materials. Electromagnetism. Magnetic Circuits and Measurements. Solenoids. Review Questions.
7. ALTERNATING CURRENT.
Objectives. Basic AC Theory. Alternating Current and Voltage Values. Advantages and Disadvantages of AC. Electromagnetic Induction 28. Capacitance. Power in AC Circuits. Three-Phase Systems. Review Questions.
8. AC CIRCUITS.
Objectives. Pure Resistive Circuits. AC Series Circuits. AC Parallel Circuits. AC Combination Circuits. Review Questions.
9. CONDUCTOR TYPES AND SIZES.
Units of Measurement. Mil-Foot Wire. Resistivity. Thermal Effect. Insulation and Ampacity of Conductors. Flexible Cords and Cables. Electrical Distribution. Terminal Connections and Splices. Review Questions.
10. WIRING METHODS.
Objectives. Electrical Codes. Armored and Metal-Clad Cable. Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. Service-Entrance Cable. Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable. Raceways. Fittings, Conduit Bodies, and Boxes. Fittings. Conduit Bodies. Boxes. Conductor Installation. Review Questions.
11. WIRING APPLICATIONS.
Objectives. Residential Wiring. Commercial and Industrial Wiring. Review Questions.
Objectives. Transmission Efficiency. Transformer Principle. Losses and Efficiency. Transformer Construction. Control Transformers. Special Transformers. Transformer Connections. Review Questions.
13. ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTION.
Objectives. Primary Distributon Systems. Consumer Distribution Systems. Grounding of Electrical Systems. Grounding of Electrical Equipment. Ground-Fault Protection. Three-Phase Systems. Harmonics. Review Questions.
Objectives. Lighting Measurements. Inverse Square Law. Light Distribution. Types of Luminaires. Reflection. Glare. Lighting Layout. Color. Types of Lighting Fixtures. Lighting Maintenance. Review Questions.
15. ELECTRIC HEAT.
Objectives. Space heating. Calculations....