Master the knowledge and skills needed to diagnose and service suspension and steering systems for today's cars, SUVs, light duty trucks and now, hybrids, with the latest edition of this highly successful Classroom/Shop Manual package! With the same carefully constructed balance of theory and practice that made previous editions so valuable, the 5th Edition of TODAY'S TECHNICIAN: AUTOMOTIVE SUSPENSION AND STEERING takes the content to the next level, from coverage of the latest mandatory tire pressure monitoring systems to the newest electronically-controlled suspension systems. And the highly updated, state-of-the-art information doesn't end there; the book also features new information on the most current front and rear suspension designs, recent developments in steering columns and air bag systems, and the latest electronic power steering gears. Reinforcing its practical, user-friendly approach are strategically placed cautions and warnings that emphasize safe working procedures and case studies that link theory to the real-life practices of today's professional, ASE-certified technicians, making this a must-have for aspiring and new automotive technicians alike!
- All-new content on the latest automotive industry trends and developments, including Active Steering System operation and service, Four Wheel Active Steering (4WAS) operation and service, PAX tire systems, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Departure Warning Systems, and Telematics.
- Expanded and updated coverage of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS).
- New, visually exciting four-color format with hundreds of new photographs and line drawings.
- Builds strong foundation in systems examination with an in-depth look at the latest computer-controlled suspension systems.
- Quickly brings readers up-to-speed with critical industry information with a solid introduction to the electric-drive power steering pumps used on some vehicles and hybrid cars, as well as the latest electronic wheel alignment equipment and procedures on most current suspension systems.
- Facilitates understanding of electrical and electronic principles at work through comprehensive coverage of the advantages, application, design, operation, diagnosing, and servicing of electric-assist power steering gears.
- Forms powerful connections between theory and the day-to-day experiences of today's professional, ASE-certified technicians with case studies and practical customer care tips.
- Visually exciting four-color format with hundreds of new photographs and line drawings aids learning.
Table of Contents:
1. Suspension and Steering Systems Introduction, Frames and Unitized Bodies, Front Suspension Systems, Rear Suspension Systems, Tires, Wheels, and Hubs, Shock Absorbers and Struts, Computer-Controlled Suspension Systems and Shock Absorbers, Steering Systems, Wheel Alignment, Steering Axis Inclination, Summary, Review Questions.
2. Basis Theories Introduction, Newton''s Laws of Motion, Work and Force, Energy, Energy Conversion, Inertia, Momentum, Friction, Mass Weight and Volume, Torque, Power, Principles Involving Tires and Wheels in Motion, Principles Involving Liquids and Gases, Atmospheric Pressure, Vacuum, Venturi Principle, Summary, Review Questions.
3. Wheel Bearings Introduction, Bearing Loads, Ball Bearings, Roller Bearings, Seals, Wheel Bearings, Rear Axle Bearings, Bearing Lubrication, Summary, Review Questions.
4. Tires and Wheels Introduction, Tire Design, Tire Ply and Belt Design, Tire Tread Design, Tire Manufacturing Defects, Tire Ratings and Sidewall Information, Specialty Tires, Replacement Tires, Tire Valves Tire Chains, Compact Spare Tires, Run-Flat Tires, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, Tire Contact Area, Tire Placard and Inflation Pressure, Nitrogen Tire Inflation, Tire Motion Forces, Wheel Rims, Static Wheel Balance Theory, Dynamic Wheel Balance Theory, Noise, Vibration, and Harshness, Summary, Review Questions.
5. Shock Absorbers and Struts Introduction, Shock Absorber Design, Shock Absorber Operation, Gas-Filled Shock Absorbers and Struts, Heavy-Duty Shock Absorber Design, Shock Absorber Ratios, Strut Design, Front Suspension, Shock Absorber and Strut Design, Rear Suspension, Travel Sensitive Struts, Adjustable Struts, Load-Levelling Shock Absorbers, Electronically Controlled Shock Absorbers and Struts, Summary, Review Questions.
6. Front Suspension Systems Introduction, Suspension System Components, Short-and-Long Arm Front Suspension Systems, MacPherson Strut Front Suspension System Design, Modified MacPherson Strut Suspension, High Performance Front Suspension Systems, Torsion Bar Suspension, Curb Riding Height, Front Spring Sag Curb Riding Height and Caster Angle, Spring Sag Curb Riding Height and Camber Angle, Summary, Review Questions.
7. Rear Suspension Systems Introduction, Live Axle Rear Suspension Systems, Semi-Independent Rear Suspension Systems, Independent Rear Suspension Systems, Curb Riding Height, Spring Sag Curb Riding Height and Caster Angle, Summary, Review Questions.
8. Computer-Controlled Suspension Systems Introduction, Programmed Ride Control System, Electronic Air Suspension System Components, Electronic Air Suspension System Operation, Air Suspension System Design Variations, Vehicle Dynamic Suspension (VDS) System, Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) System, Integrated Electronic Systems and Networks, Vehicle Stability Control, Active Roll Control Systems, Active Cruise Control (ACC) Systems, Lane Departure Warning Systems, Collision Mitigation Systems, Telem...