RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION ACADEMY: BASIC PRINCIPLES FOR CONSTRUCTION, 3E includes a full color design with new and updated photos and figures. Coverage of building codes and safe materials handling ensures that the reader will stay current with industry standards and trends. In addition, a new chapter on green building practices will introduce readers to jobsite practices while they plan and execute. This book is ideal for those beginning a career in the building trades industry and provides thorough, up-to-date coverage of the core academic areas that are necessary for success in the field. Topics include work ethic, math, communications, print reading, safety, and common tools.
- Offers the very latest information on the industry's hottest topics, including a new chapter on green building that introduces green building principles and jobsite practices.
- Clearly illustrated and up-to-date, the text is highlighted with new full color photos and illustrations that focus on the most current equipment, tools, and procedures.
- New end-of-chapter summaries better facilitate comprehension and provide a "built-in study guide" highlighting key points from the chapter.
- Contains comprehensive coverage of a solid range of topics that makes this a must have guide for your students beginning in the industry.
- Contains detailed color photos and illustrations throughout the book that highlight important concepts and familiarize first-timers with the latest equipment and procedures.
- Includes coverage of basic math concepts and work ethic guidelines that teach your students material that is often overlooked in traditional building trades books.
- Includes end–of-chapter activities and review questions that engage your students and encourage them to apply key principles.
Table of Contents:
SECTION I: THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY.
1. Organization of the Industry.
Glossary of Terms. Construction Personnel. An Overall View of Design and Construction. Forms of Ownership. Building Codes. Unions and Contractors' Associations. Review Questions. Activities.
2. Working in the Industry.
Glossary of Terms. Ethics. Working on a Team. Communication. Customer Service. Lifelong Learning. Review Questions. Activities.
3. Green Construction.
Glossary of Terms. Aspects of Green Building. Green Certifications Programs. Future of Green Home Building. Review Questions. Activities.
SECTION II: SAFETY.
4. Jobsite Safety.
Glossary of Terms. Accidents. OSHA. Personal Protective Equipment. Hazard Communication Standard. Fire. Trench Safety. Material Handling. Electricity. Review Questions. Activities.
5. Safety with Ladders, Scaffolds, and Machines.
Glossary of Terms. Scaffolds. Portable Ladders. Safe Climbing Habits. Internal Combustion Engines. Compressed Air. Review Questions. Activities.
SECTION III: CONSTRUCTION MATH.
6. Whole Numbers.
Glossary of Terms. Basic Principles. Addition Problems. Subtraction Problems. Multiplication Problems. Division Problems. Combined Operations.
Glossary of Terms. Basic Principles. Addition and Subtraction of Decimal Fractions. Multiplication of Decimal Fractions. Division of Decimal Fractions.
Glossary of Terms. Basic Principles. Adding Fractions. Adding Mixed Numbers. Subtracting Fractions. Multiplying Fractions. Decimal and Common Fraction Equivalents.
9. Linear Measure.
Glossary of Terms. Reading of U.S. Customary Scale. Nominal Dimensions. Combining Feet and Inches. Metric System. Perimeter Measure.
10. Percent (Percentage).
Glossary of Terms. Perent. Interest.
11. Area and Volume.
Glossary of Terms. Area of Squares and Rectangles. Area of Triangles. Area of Circles. Volume of Rectangular Solids, Cubes, and Cylinders.
12. Right Angles.
Glossary of Terms. Basic Principles. 6-8-10 Method.
13. Combined Operations.
SECTION IV: TOOLS AND FASTENERS.
14. Hand Tools-Selection, Use and Care.
Glossary of Terms. Systems of Measurement. Tape Measure. Rafter Square. Stair Gauges. Speed Square. Combination Square. Chalk Line Reel. 6-8-10 Method and Checking Diagonals. Spirit Level. Builder's Level. Laser Level. Plumb Bob. Hammers. Bars and Nail Pullers. Screwdrivers. Pliers. Wrenches. Hacksaw. Handsaw. Coping Saw. Wallboard Saw. Utility Knife. Snips. Pipe and Tubing Cutters. Flaring Tool. Swaging Tools. Review Questions. Activities.
15. Power Tools-Selection, Use, and Care.
Glossary of Terms. Power Tool Construction. Power Tool Safety. Portable Circular Saw. Saber Saw. Reciprocating Saw. Drills.Torches. Review Questions. Activities.
Glossary of Terms. Nails. Screws. Bolts. Anchors. Hollow-Wall Faste...