Based on industry standards developed by the National Association of Home Builders and its Home Builders Institute, this comprehensive text covers the essentials of residential construction carpentry, including tools and materials, rough carpentry, and exterior and interior finish carpentry ensuring professional success on any jobsite. Extensively illustrated and succinctly written, RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION ACADEMY: CARPENTRY 3e features “Procedure” sections in nearly every chapter that combine precise, step-by-step instructions with helpful drawings, making it easy to understand key concepts and master important techniques. The Third Edition includes much new and updated material, including special “green” features exploring environmentally friendly building practices, and exercises incorporating local building codes. As always, safety is strongly emphasized with specific tips and precautions in every chapter.
- A new introduction covers industry-related topics, such as business practices, ethical and legal issues, career goals, customer service, and construction trends, as well as trade-specific career goals and career profiles of professionals working in the field.
- Updated content includes new material on heat loss and insulation, and revised coverage of power tools, blueprints, codes, building layout, insulation, and wall finish.
- "Green Tip" and "Green Checklist" boxes offer students insights into important environmentally friendly and energy-efficient industry trends and practices they will likely encounter as working professionals.
- Know Your Codes" prompts students to research local and regional building codes, providing excellent practice for a critical on-the-job skill.
- An answer key to the chapter-ending review questions is now included, making it easier for students to assess and evaluate their learning--and to identify any areas where they may need more help.
- Vivid illustrations, useful diagrams, and engaging visual material integrated throughout the text help bring key concepts to life and give students a clear understanding of important tools and techniques.
- Incorporating industry standards developed by the National Association of Home Builders and its Home Builders Institute, students gain familiarity with important guidelines that affect the everyday work of professional carpenters.
- With a concise, reader-friendly style and an emphasis on practical knowledge and hands-on skills, this comprehensive guide provides a valuable introduction for carpentry students and serves as a useful reference for working professionals.
- A strong emphasis on safety, including tips and precautions integrated throughout the text, helps students develop good habits and careful practices right from the start.
- A wide range of useful, text-specific supplements, such as the Image Library, offers numerous simple and effective options to enhance teaching and learning.
Table of Contents:
Introduction to Carpentry, Third Edition.
Section I: TOOLS AND MATERIALS.
1. Hand Tools.
2. Power Tools.
3. Stationary Power Tools.
4. Wood and Wood Products.
Section II: ROUGH CARPENTRY.
6. Building Plans and Codes.
7. Building Layout.
8. Concrete Form Construction.
9. Floor Framing.
10. Wall and Ceiling Framing.
11. Scaffolds, Ladders, and Sawhorses.
12. Roof Framing.
Section III: EXTERIOR FINISH.
13. Windows and Doors.
15. Siding and Decks.
Section IV: INTERIOR FINISH.
16. Insulation and Ventilation.
17. Wall Finish.
18. Interior Finish.
19. Stair Framing and Finish.
20. Cabinets and Countertops.