Mastering the theory and application of electrical concepts is necessary for a successful career in the electrical installation or industrial maintenance fields, and this new fifth edition of DELMAR'S STANDARD TEXTBOOK OF ELECTRICITY delivers! Designed to teach by blending concepts relating to electrical theory and principles with practical 'how to' information that prepares you for situations commonly encountered on the job. Topics span all the major aspects of the electrical field including atomic structure and basic electricity, direct and alternating current, basic circuit theory, three-phase circuits, single phase, transformers, generators, and motors. This revision retains all the hallmarks of our market-leading prior editions and includes enhancements such as updates to the 2011 NEC®, a new chapter on industry orientation, and new coverage of constant-current transformers and fuel cells as well as tips on energy efficiency throughout the text
- Green Tips appear throughout text to demonstrate how to apply green concepts to the electrical field.
- New chapter on "industry orientation."
- New information concerning the American Wire Gauge measurement.
- Extended coverage of how to determine resistance of conductors at different temperatures.
- New coverage of constant-current transformers and fuel cells.
- New homework lab solution option using CourseMate.
- Comprehensive text organized so that each chapter covers a different topic, making it easy to comprehend as well as teach.
- Extensive use of color illustrations and photographs appeals to visual learners and brings electrical theory and applications to life.
- Covers a vast spectrum of electrical topics including three-phase power, both single-phase and three-phase transformers, and single-phase and three-phase motors.
- Math concepts are limited to basic algebra and trigonometry and are logically organized so that students can master the basics before moving on to more advanced topics.
- "Why You Need to Know" boxed articles appear at the beginning of each unit and highlight the importance of critical topics presented in the main text
- Highlighted safety/caution material stresses safe work practices and draws attention to critical points deserving emphasis.
Table of Contents:
Introduction: Electrical Occupations
1. Atomic Structure.
2. Electrical Quantities and Ohm's Law.
3. Static Electricity.
6. Series Circuits.
7. Parallel Circuits.
8. Combination Circuits.
9. Kirchhoff's Law, Thevenin's and Norton's Theorems.
10. Measuring Instruments.
11. Using Wire Tables and Determining Conductor Sizes.
12. Conduction in Liquids and Gases.
13. Batteries and Other Sources of Electricity.
14. Magnetic Induction.
15. Basic Trigonometry and Vectors.
16. Alternating Current.
17. Inductance in Alternating Current Circuits.
18. Resistive-Inductive Series Circuits.
19. Resistive-Inductive Parallel Circuits.
21. Capacitance in Alternating Current Circuits.
22. Resistive-Capacitive Series Circuits.
23. Resistive-Capacitive Parallel Circuits.
24. Resistive-Inductive-Capacitive Series Circuits.
25. Resistive-Inductive-Capacitive Parallel Circuits.
27. Three-Phase Circuits.
28. Single-Phase Transformers.
29. Three-Phase Transformers.
30. Direct Current Generators.
31. Direct Current Motors.
32. Three-Phase Alternators.
33. Three-Phase Motors.
34. Single-Phase Motors.