Now nearing its 30th year of publication, WELDING: PRINCIPLES & APPLICATIONS (WP&A), 7th Edition is the authoritative introduction to the subject of welding. It's designed for students in a wide range of academic and workforce training programs who want to pursue careers as skilled welders and welding supervisors. The text also supports the needs of learners who need to achieve a basic level of proficiency in welding in their chosen skilled trade. While covering the procedural and safety information all students need, WELDING: PRINCIPLES & APPLICATIONS also explains underlying theories. The combination of hands-on information with clear explanations of theory is a hallmark of this book. The depth of coverage allows it to be used as the core text in a multi-course welding curriculum, generally starting with shielded metal arc welding, and then covering other basic processes and more advanced techniques.
- Includes hundreds of new and updated photographs and line art.
- Includes environmental and conservation tips.
- Includes new welding processes and technologies.
- Contains expanded material on processes such as Plasma Cutting, Flux Cored Arc Welding, and Gas Metal Arc Welding.
- Contains new chapters that include Shop Math, Reading Technical Drawings, and Fabricating Techniques and Practices.
- Covers the most current welding technologies, so your students can feel confident that they are well-prepared for entering today's welding field.
- Includes a newly revised companion Study Guide/Lab Manual that makes it easy for your students to gain hands-on welding practice.
- Contains updated information on Flux Cored Steel Electrode Identification and Metal Cored Steel Electrode Identification.
- Includes "success stories" that profile real-life welders, capturing attention and motivating your students who may be considering welding as a career choice.
- Contains real-world features at the end of each chapter that showcase real-life applications of the principles presented, maintaining your students' interest while bridging the gap between theory and practice.
Table of Contents:
1. Introduction to Welding.
2. Safety in Welding.
3. Shielded Metal Arc Equipment, Setup, and Operation.
4. Shielded Metal Arc Welding of Plate.
5. Shielded Metal Arc Welding of Pipe.
6. Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welding.
7. Flame Cutting.
8. Plasma Arc Cutting.
9. Related Cutting Processes.
10. Gas Metal Arc Welding Equipment, Setup, and Operation.
11. Gas Metal Arc Welding.
12. Flux Cored Arc Welding Equipment, Setup, and Operation.
13. Flux Cored Arc Welding.
14. Other Constant Potential Welding Processes.
15. Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Equipment, Setup, Operation, and Filler Metals.
16. Gas Tungsten Arc Welding of Plate.
17. Gas Tungsten Arc Welding of Pipe.
18. Shop Math and Weld Cost.
19. Reading Technical Drawings.
20. Welding Joint Design and Welding Symbols.
21. Fabricating Techniques and Practices.
22. Welding Codes and Standards.
23. Testing and Inspection of Welds.
24. Welder Certification.
25. Welding Metallurgy.
26. Weldability of Metals.
27. Filler Metal Selection.
28. Welding Automation and Robotics.
29. Other Welding Processes.
30. Oxyfuel Welding and Cutting Equipment, Setup, and Operation.
31. Oxyfuel Gasses and Filler Metals.
32. Oxyacetylene Welding.
33. Soldering, Brazing, and Braze Welding.