WELDING AND METAL FABRICATION employs a unique hands-on, project-based learning strategy to teach welding skills effectively and keep you motivated. This groundbreaking new book connects each welding technique to a useful and creative take-home project, making exercises both practical and personal—and avoiding the tedium of traditional, repetitive welding practices. To further enhance the learning process, every welding project includes a set of prints with specifications, like those used in production fabrication shops. This full-featured approach to skill-building reflects the reality of professional welding, where following prints and instructions precisely and laying out, cutting out, and assembling weldment accurately are just as essential as high-quality welding. The included projects are small to conserve materials during the learning process, but detailed instructions and abundant photos and illustrations guide you through a wide range of fabrication skills. Key steps and techniques within the small projects are also linked to larger projects presented at the end of each chapter, enabling you to apply what you have learned by fabricating and welding something more substantial. This thorough, reader-friendly book also prepares you for real-world success by covering shop math and measurement, time and material tracking, and invoicing.
- Small, creative projects designed to conserve materials enable students to develop a wide range of welding fabrication skills and remain highly motivated.
- Incorporates detailed coverage of print reading, layout, cutting, fabricating, welding, and finishing techniques which make the learning process more interesting while allowing students to develop all of the skills essential for success as a professional
- Each welding project concludes with three forms to give students experience preparing the kinds of documents used in real-world welding fabrication shops: a time sheet listing hours spent on each task, a bill of materials with a complete parts list, and a
- In addition to in-depth coverage of the most commonly used welding processes, chapters on welding safety, shop math, reading technical drawings, welding joint design, welding symbols, shop practices, and welding certification help students develop a broad
- Both the small, skill-building projects and the larger, chapter-ending projects feature detailed instructions with numerous illustrations, supporting both group work and individualized, self-paced instruction.
Table of Contents:
2. Welding Safety.
3. Shop Math.
4. Reading Technical Drawings.
5. Welding Joint Design, Welding Symbols.
6. Fabricating Techniques and Practices.
7. Welding Shop Practices.
8. Shielded Metal Arc Equipment, Setup, and Operation.
9. Shielded Metal Arc Welding Plate.
10. Shielded Metal Arc Welding Pipe.
11. Gas Metal Arc Welding Equipment and Materials.
12. Gas Metal Arc Welding.
13. Flux Core Arc Welding Equipment and Materials.
14. Flux Core Arc Welding.
15. Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Equipment and Materials.
16. Gas Tungsten Arc Welding.
17. Oxyfuel Welding and Cutting Equipment, Setup, and Operation.
18. Oxyacetylene Welding.
19. Soldering, Brazing, and Braze Welding Processes.
20. Soldering and Brazing.
21. Oxyacetylene Cutting.
22. Plasma Arc Cutting.
23. Arc Cutting, Gouging, and Related Cutting Processes.
24. Other Welding Processes.
25. Welding Automation and Robotics.
26. Filler Metal Selection.
27. Welding Metallurgy.
28. Weldability of Metals.
29. Welder Certification.
30. Testing and Inspecting Welds.