When students need to learn from the resource even the pros trust, look no further than Delmar’s Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver Training, 4E. Delmar is the only official education partner of the Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI). Our goal is to ensure that students are armed with the information needed to excel in their truck driver careers. The all-new fourth edition incorporates both customer and industry feedback to bring enhancements that truly capture the learning needs of the industry. One key improvement: the book’s approach has been broadened to include all of North America, in an effort to provide accurate, effective content that is relevant to all drivers, whether they drive within or beyond the border of the United States. Additional updates include a detailed chapter devoted to CSA 2010, references to the latest tractor-trailer and driving technologies, as well as “day in the life” stories written by truck drivers and industry leaders that illustrate how truck driving experiences can shape both lives and careers. The end result is a valuable resource that will instill an up-to-date, comprehensive foundational knowledge that will help drivers in any stage of their career development.
- End-of-chapter and Appendix resources include relevant websites, industry-acknowledged reference materials, and trucking association contact information that provide users with the tools to access information outside the confines of the book.
- New chapter detailing CSA 2010 and the updated use of technology throughout the industry keep users up to date.
- Content includes information on the latest Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations and standards.
- Robust illustrations and photographs clarify important topics and help users to visualize the material presented.
- Engaging, straightforward writing style captures attention and makes content easy to understand for users of all backgrounds and levels.
- For Instructors: Enhanced Instructor Resource including chapter-by-chapter instructor guides, instructor slide files to support the content, a video library, an image library, and a test generator is free with any adoption.
- For Instructors: Content meets the latest PTDI curriculum standards to aid in securing or maintaining PTDI program certification.
Table of Contents:
1. An Introduction to Trucking.
2. The Commercial Driver's License.
3. Control Systems.
4. Vehicle Systems.
5. Transportation Technology.
6. Vehicle Inspections.
7. Basic Control.
9. Backing and Docking.
10. Coupling and Uncoupling.
11. Sliding Fifth Wheels and Tandem Axles.
12. Preventive Maintenance and Servicing.
13. Recognizing and Reporting Malfunctions.
15. Visual Search.
16. Space Management.
17. Speed Management.
18. Night Driving.
19. Extreme Driving Conditions.
20. Skid Control.
21. Hazard Awareness.
22. Railroad Crossings.
23. Emergency Maneuvers.
24. Accident Procedures.
25. Handling Cargo.
26. Cargo Documentation.
27. Special Rigs.
28. Hours of Service.
29. Trip Planning.
30. Transportation Security.
31. Driving International Routes.
32. Hazardous Materials.
33. Public Relations and Job Search.
34. Driver Health, Safety and Security.
35. Whistleblower Protections for Professional Drivers.
36. CSA 2010.
Appendix A: Troubleshooting Guide.
Appendix B: Website/Reference list.
Appendix C: Trucking Association Listing.
Appendix D: Glossary.
Appendix E: Index.