PARALEGAL TODAY: THE ESSENTIALS, Sixth Edition, provides readers with a concise introduction to the legal system through real-world examples, practical applications, ethical dilemmas, and hands-on activities. With its focus on the basic, key areas of paralegal studies, this book ensures that readers develop a comprehensive understanding of topics such as careers, legal ethics, litigation procedures, criminal law, legal research and analysis, legal writing, and ethical and professional responsibility. The Sixth Eedition includes increased coverage of technology in the workplace, including critical topics such as confidentiality issues, e-mail policies, technology in the courtroom, and the use of social media in crime detection and enforcing delinquent court judgments. In addition, "Social Media Today" boxes explain how social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn can be used in the legal field.
- USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA. Throughout the text, "Social Media Today" boxed features explain how social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn can be used properly in the workplace.
- TECHNOLOGY IN THE WORKPLACE. To prepare students for a career in today's technological environment, discussions of the impact of technology in the workplace are found throughout the text. Coverage includes topics such as confidentiality issues, e-mail policies, technology in the courtroom, and the use of social media in crime detection and enforcing delinquent court judgments.
- PRACTICE FOCUS. Each chapter includes a "Practice Focus" feature that introduces students to new technologies that affect the paralegal environment. Students are also provided with practical tips on how to use these new technologies to succeed in the workplace.
- INCREASED COVERAGE OF DISCRIMINATION. The sixth edition includes a new discussion of restrictive covenants in employment and how firms can limit their potential liability in employment discrimination suits. Topics such as disability discrimination, domestic abuse, non-traditional marriages, and surrogacy motherhood are also discussed.
- GROUP PROJECTS. A "Group Project" is included in the end-of-chapter questions. The projects present opportunities for small groups of students to work together researching key topics and then presenting their findings to the class.
- REAL-WORLD RELEVANCE. Real-world examples and Featured Contributors bring the material to life.
- PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY. A strong ethical focus emphasizes the paralegal's professional responsibility in every aspect of the law. In addition, "In the Office" features provide tips on how paralegals can be more productive and professional.
- VISUAL APPEAL. Engaging, highly visual content gives students a thorough introduction to not only the legal system in general, but to specific areas of the law and the paralegal's integral role as a member of the legal team.
- STUDY TOOLS. Numerous features and exhibits throughout the text and comprehensive end-of-chapter activities provide an emphasis on applying concepts.
- GOING GREEN. "Going Green" features provide tips on how paralegals can conserve resources while still maintaining the same level of productivity.
Table of Contents:
PART I: THE PARALEGAL PROFESSION.
1. Careers in Today's Professional Paralegal.
2. The Inner Workings of the Law Office.
3. Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
4. Sources of American Law.
5. The Court System and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
PART II: LEGAL PROCEDURES AND PARALEGAL SKILLS.
6. Legal Research and Analysis.
7. Contemporary Online Legal Research.
8. Legal Writing: Form and Substance.
9. Civil Litigation: Before the Trial.
10. Conducting Interviews and Investigations.
11. Trial Procedures.
12. Criminal Law and Procedures.
A. NALA's Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
B. NALA's Model Standards and Guidelines for Utilization of Paralegals.
C. NFPA's Model Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility and Guidelines for Enforcement.
D. NALS Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
E. Paralegal Associations.
F. Information on NALA's CP Program.
G. Information on NFPA's CEE & PACE® Examinations.
H. Information on NALS Certification.
I. The Constitution of the United States.
J. Spanish Equivalents for Important Legal Terms in English.