With increased emphasis on visualization, the design process, and modern CAD technology, this edition of our popular Engineering Drawing and Design book provides readers with an approach to drafting that is consistent with the National Standards Institute (NSI) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Newly reorganized, the first half of the book focuses attention on sketching, views, descriptive geometry, dimensioning, and pictorial drawings. The second half of the book invites readers to build upon these skills as they explore manufacturing materials and processes that span all of the engineering disciplines, including: welding, fluid power, piping, electricity/electronics, HVAC, sheet metal, and more! Each chapter contains realistic examples, technically precise illustrations, problems and related tests. Step-by-step methods, plus layout guidelines for preparing technically precise engineering drawings from sketches, are also featured throughout the book to provide readers with a logical approach to setting up and completing drawing problems. Ideal for use in introductory and advanced engineering graphics programs, the extraordinarily complete and current information in this book makes it an invaluable reference for professional engineers.
- A new four-color chapter, "Solid Modeling, Animation, and Virtual Reality," introduces readers to these leading-edge technologies. This chapter is written by contributing author James Folkestad of Colorado State University in Fort Collins, CO. Folkestad is also a Project Management Professional with a PMI Certification.
- A newly contributed chapter 5, "Using the Engineering Design Process," explains the project team approach to engineering design that is quickly replacing responsibilities once relegated to an individual designer. It is written by contributing author Karen Schertz, a 30 year veteran in the field of Technical Education with teaching experience at the high school, community college, and university levels in the areas of drafting, CAD, and design.
- Coverage of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) has been updated to ANSI Y14.5, enabling readers to prepare drawings from sketches that meet the latest standards.
- A comprehensive Workbook supplements the book, focusing attention on the design process while offering additional practice with auxiliary views, 3D visualization, and GD&T.
- An e.resource minimizes preparation for instructors by furnishing them with ready-to-use PowerPoint slides, teaching tips for each chapter, a computer testbank, and more.
- The Instructor's Solutions Manual contains detailed solutions to 100% of the text and workbook problems, making it easy to take full advantage of the entire learning package.
- A new video series, featuring step-by-step demonstrations of drafting, sketching, and CAD transitioning techniques correlated to specific chapters of the book, is available separately.
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1Introduction to Engineering Drawing and Design
Chapter 2Sketching, Lettering and Lines
Chapter 3Drafting Equipment, Media and Reproduction Methods
Chapter 4Computer-Aided Design and Drafting
Chapter 5Using the Engineering Design Process
Chapter 6Geometric Construction
Chapter 8Auxiliary Views
Chapter 9Descriptive Geometry I
Chapter 10 Descriptive Geometry II
Chapter 11 Manufacturing Materials and Processes
Chapter 12 Dimensioning and Tolerancing
Chapter 13 Fasteners and Springs
Chapter 14 Sections, Revolutions, and Conventional Breaks
Chapter 15 Geometric Tolerancing
Chapter 16 Mechanisms: Linkages, Cams, Gears, and Bearings
Chapter 17 Belt and Chain Drives
Chapter 18 Working Drawings
Chapter 19 Pictorial Drawings and Technical Illustrations
Chapter 20 Solid Modeling, Animation, and Virtual Reality
Chapter 21 Welding Processes and Representations
Chapter 22 Industrial Process Piping
Chapter 23 Structural Drafting
Chapter 24 HVAC and Sheet Metal
Chapter 25 Electrical and Electronic Schematic Drafting