Author: Eugene Silberstein, B.A., M.S., BEAP, CMHE
ISBN #: 1305081633
©2016 Publish Date: 07/20/2015
Publisher: Cengage Learning
Prepare for your career with HEAT PUMPS, 2e. This reader-friendly, full color book provides comprehensive coverage of air source, water source, and geothermal heating pump technology. Fifteen dedicated troubleshooting chapters provide ample opportunities for you to apply each of the steps required for successful completion of every service call. The Second Edition addresses the latest green building codes and includes a wide range of built-in learning aids and real-life examples to help you develop the knowledge and skills they will need on the job.
- New chapters added pertaining to new technology used in the field.
- New "green" sidebars throughout the book provide tips on energy efficiency and address the latest Green Building codes.
- New topics include inverter-controlled compressors, variable refrigerant flow, ductless split systems, ductless split heat pump systems with heat recovery, ductless split system installation, and pressure enthalpy.
- A new full color, reader-friendly design with mostly new art work makes technical topics easier to understand.
- Coverage of geothermal heat pump systems is greatly expanded.
- Discussions on COP, EER, SEER, and HSPF have been expanded and a greater emphasis is placed on system efficiency.
- An expanded number of service calls based on actual scenarios encountered by field technicians provide practice in troubleshooting and identifying causes of system failure.
- Each system component is treated separately, allowing readers to concentrate fully on a single component before attempting to assemble all of the pieces of the heat pump puzzle.
- More than 50 "For Discussion" topics excite and challenge readers while providing instructors with opportunities to encourage thought-provoking in-class debate.
- Cutaway views of devices allow readers to see inside the system as they explore the operation and function of each of its components in detail.
- Three chapters aid readers in developing the ability to read and interpret electrical schematic and ladder diagrams for air source, water source, and geothermal heat pump systems, a skill required of all successful technicians.
- Objectives and a brief introduction, plus an overview of the concepts to be presented in each chapter, help readers to zero in on must-know information.
- Chapter-end summaries, plus hundreds of chapter-end review questions, underscore key points while providing an effective means for readers to gauge their understanding.
- An extensive glossary helps readers master the use of key technical and industry terms.
Table of Contents:
UNIT ONE: VAPOR COMPRESSION REFRIGERATION AND HEAT PUMP THEORY.
1. Vapor-compression Refrigeration System Components.
2. Vapor-compression Refrigeration System Controls.
3. Introduction to Heat Pump Systems
UNIT TWO: AIR SOURCE HEAT PUMP SYSTEMS.
4. Introduction to Air Source Heat Pump Systems.
5. Air Source Heat Pump System Wiring Diagrams.
6. Air Source Heat Pump System Installation.
UNIT THREE: AIR SOURCE HEAT PUMP TROUBLESHOOTING AND SERVICING.
7. Air Source Heat Pump Systems: Mechanical Troubleshooting.
8. Air Source Heat Pump Systems: Electrical Troubleshooting.
9. Air Source Heat Pump Systems: Preventive Maintenance.
10. Air Source Heat Pump Systems: Servicing & Sample Service Calls.
UNIT FOUR: WATER SOURCE HEAT PUMP SYSTEMS.
11. Introduction to Water Source Heat Pump Systems.
12. Water Source Heat Pump System Wiring Diagrams.
13. Water Source Heat Pump System Installation.
UNIT FIVE: WATER SOURCE HEAT PUMP TROUBLESHOOTING AND SERVICING.
14. Water Source Heat Pump Systems: Mechanical & Electrical Troubleshooting.
15. Water Source Heat Pump Systems: Preventive Maintenance & Servicing.
16. Water Source Heat Pump Systems: Sample Service Calls.
UNIT SIX: GEOTHERMAL HEAT PUMP SYSTEMS.
17. Introduction to Geothermal Heat Pump Systems.
18. Geothermal Heat Pump System Installation.
UNIT SEVEN: GEOTHERMAL HEAT PUMP TROUBLESHOOTING AND SERVICING.
19. Geothermal Heat Pump Systems: Mechanical & Electrical Troubleshooting.
20. Geothermal Heat Pump Systems: Sample Service Calls.