Theory & Practice of Therapeutic Massage, Sixth Edition, comprehensively provides the foundation of knowledge required to become a massage professional. It delves into several areas within the profession, with chapters devoted to spa massage, lymph massage, clinical massage techniques, therapeutic procedure, athletic massage, massage in medicine, and more. Providing a fresh new design, updated terminology and expanded content on topics such as research literacy and business administration, this new edition provides the essential knowledge and skills needed to become a successful massage therapist and will be a reference that users can count on throughout their careers.
- Why Study This? Feature has been incorporated to aid students in understanding the importance of learning each topic and how it will play a role in their future careers.
- Expanded coverage on research literacy addresses the importance of locating, comprehending, and evaluating valid information and applying it to clinical practice.
- Business Practices chapter has been updated with the latest information on marketing, setting fees, online bookkeeping systems, and more.
- Reorganized procedure layout makes photos and step-by-step instructions easier to follow.
- Updated photography for draping procedures, pre-and post-service procedures, massage for the face, ear, neck, front of the leg, and abdomen, stone massage and lymph massage.
- Content has been revised using recommendations from the Entry-Level Evaluation Project (ELAP), a report endorsed by the AMTA, ABMP, COMTA, AFMTE, MTF, NCBTMB, and FSMTB.
- Full-color photography, charts, and tables emphasize critical concepts.
- Running glossary assists students in learning important terminology and provides easy access to definitions while completing assignments.
- Discussion and review questions at the end of each chapter test comprehension and identify areas that need to be reviewed.
Table of Contents:
PART I: The History and Advancement of Therapeutic Massage.
1. Historical Overview of Massage.
2. Requirements for the Practice of Therapeutic Massage.
3. Professional Ethics for Massage Practitioners.
PART II: Human Anatomy and Physiology.
4. Overview of Human Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology.
5. Human Anatomy and Physiology.
PART III: Massage Practice.
6. Effects, Benefits, Indications, and Contraindications of Massage.
7. Equipment and Products.
8. Infection Control and Safety Practices.
9. Consultation and Documentation.
10. Classification of Massage Movements.
11. Preparations for the Practitioner.
12. Procedures for Complete Body Massages.
13. Cold, Heat, and Hydrotherapies.
14. Massage in the Spa Setting by Steve Capellini.
15. Clinical Massage Techniques.
16. Lymph Massage.
17. Therapeutic Procedures.
18. Athletic/Sports Massage.
19. Massage for Special Populations.
20. Massage in Medicine.
21. Other Therapeutic Techniques.
PART IV: Massage Business Administration.
22. Business Practices.