Milady Standard Barbering, 6th edition, continues to be the leading resource in barbering education, providing the foundational principles and techniques needed to be successful while in school, pass the licensing exam, and launch yourself into a thriving career. Incorporating new photography, artwork and overall layout, the look and feel of this edition has been transformed, resulting in a sleek and clean design. Content has been updated within each chapter with a major focus on the procedures, infection control, life skills and business chapters, just to name a few. In addition, classic techniques have been paired with contemporary looks to ensure success both while in school and beyond to employment. As the only textbook that provides an integrated set of resources to enhance the learning process, this new edition continues its long history of setting the standard in barbering education.
- Procedures have been moved to the back of each chapter to improve flow of content and ensure that they are easily accessible.
- Nails and manicuring content has been moved to a Nail Care Appendix making it easily accessible for programs to include where applicable.
- Life Skills chapter expands on the previous Study Skills chapter to include important skills needed post-graduation.
- Infection Control chapter combines Microbiology and Infection Control and Safe Work Practices content into one updated, comprehensive chapter.
- Why Study This? feature has been incorporated to aid students in understanding the importance of learning each topic and how it will play a role in their future careers.
- The Business of Barbering has been updated to include information on booth rentals, social media, and how to start a successful barbering business.
- Includes over 75 step-by-step procedures accompanied by full color photos to ensure accuracy.
- Learning Objectives are listed at the start of and throughout each chapter, to help guide the student through the learning process.
- Learning elements including Focus On, Did you Know?, Safety Cautions, Activities, Tips, State Regulatory Alerts, and Web Resources call attention to valuable information.
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1: The History of Barbering.
Chapter 2: Life Skills.
Chapter 3: Professional Image.
Chapter 4: Infection Control: Principles and Practices.
Chapter 5: Implements, Tools, and Equipment.
Chapter 6: General Anatomy and Physiology.
Chapter 7: Basics of Chemistry.
Chapter 8: Basics of Electricity.
Chapter 9: The Skin- Structure, Disorders, and Diseases.
Chapter 10: Properties and Disorders of the Hair and Scalp.
Chapter 11: Treatment of the Hair and Scalp.
Chapter 12: Men’s Facial Massage and Treatments.
Chapter 13: Shaving and Facial Hair Design.
Chapter 14: Men’s Haircutting and Styling.
Chapter 15: Men’s Hair Replacement.
Chapter 16: Women’s Haircutting and Styling.
Chapter 17: Chemical Texture Services.
Chapter 18: Haircoloring and Lightening.
Chapter 19: Preparing for Licensure and Employment.
Chapter 20: Working Behind the Chair.
Chapter 21: The Business of Barbering.
Appendix: Nail Care.